[Sound-open-firmware] DSP VM to x86 VM communication in QEMU

Liam Girdwood liam.r.girdwood at linux.intel.com
Mon Apr 15 11:46:08 CEST 2019

On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 14:43 -0700, Ranjani Sridharan wrote:
> On Tue, 2019-04-09 at 10:15 -0600, Fletcher Woodruff wrote:
> > I'm looking into implementing a feature to allow mapping shared
> > memory
> > in a VM host into a guest for audio playback.
> >
> > I've seen there's some related work in SoF's qemu repo for
> > communicating between an x86 VM and a DSP VM, and I was wondering if
> > anyone had more context/documentation on those features?
> Hi Fletcher,
>
> Documentation for SOF QEMU is quite sparse or probably even non-
> existent.
>
> If you'd like to get a jump start, I'd recommend looking into the qemu-
> check.sh script in the SOF repo. It has some instructions on how to
> start the qemu, load the FW and check for boot success.

The old qemu instructions from alsa-project have not yet been carried over to
sof-project. I need to do this alongside other doc updates. Old instructions are
here:-

https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Firmware#Using_the_Qemu_DSP_emulator

These instructions are out of date, so you may find that other qemu dependencies
are needed to build. Host (x86) side is not yet supported for SKL on wards atm
(needs code to hook into qemu HDA core), but xtensa DSP is supported on all
platforms.

Liam