[Sound-open-firmware] Check-patch tuning

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Thu Aug 23 16:01:54 CEST 2018

On 8/23/18 5:47 AM, Jankowski, Janusz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can we remove rule for:
>
> 'CHECK: Alignment should match open parenthesis' ?
>
> It forces us to make code that is not aligned anyway on github because
> of use of tabs in sof source - what when mixed with spaces (to satisfy
> checkpatch) creates code that looks ugly in github listings + adds a lot
> of useless indents fixes while refactoring.
>
> For example:
> https://github.com/jajanusz/sof/blob/86b7ca8e04cf160e92bf615f0e2cf88a41215b42/src/drivers/intel/legacy/baytrail/timer.c#L169

We use the Linux style with tabs, if you add spaces manually you are
doing something wrong with your editor. The timer.c line can be fixed, I
don't see why it's better without the alignment. Both emacs and vim work
fine, that's good enough for me.

There are cases where the alignment rules can be waived, but I see no
reason why the rule should be removed completely.

The only thing I'd be willing to accept is a two-step CI rule, with
plain vanilla checkpatch --codespell as mandatory and checkpatch
--codespell --strict left to the appreciation of the maintainer (and if
I merge you will need a strong reason to get a waiver).

Regards
-Pierre