[Sound-open-firmware] Support for Tangier SoC

Liam Girdwood liam.r.girdwood at linux.intel.com
Wed Oct 18 13:11:24 CEST 2017

Hi Sven,

Btw, best to subscribe as non member posts are blocked and delayed.

On Tue, 2017-10-17 at 20:49 +0200, Sven Schwermer wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Thanks for your replies. I had tried a running a vanilla kernel on the
> Edison. There, the sst_pci driver is probed, but the platform data is
> not set and that’s basically where I got stuck because I couldn’t
> figure out where that’s supposed to be set. Is that usually ACPI’s
> job?

I dont think ACPI is used by the ADSP on Edison, I think it's purely a
PCI device. Vanilla kernel wont work either atm, you will need my
topic/sof-v4.13 branch from here :-

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lrg/asoc.git

Note that this branch only works on the SOF 1.0-dev branches (that are
not stable) and not the stable master branch.

The stable SOF master firmware branch has a different IPC ABI and only
works with the topic/reef kernels (that unfortunately dont support PCI
mode on Edison) :(

> What exactly should happen once the mrfld_sst SFI IPC is enumerated? I
> am lacking the big picture and the order of events here. Is there an
> overview document somewhere available online?

There is also more than one driver upstream. The sst driver is for
Intel's closed source FW. The open source FW uses different ABIs and
APIs to the closed source version, currently you need to blacklist the
old SST modules in order to load the SOF FW and driver (this is being
fixed in upstream atm)

> I guess, the nocodec mode would be fine as a start.

Yes.

Liam