No sound on HDMI by default on Lenovo T14s using Fedora 37

Mike FABIAN mfabian at redhat.com
Wed Jan 18 18:05:23 CET 2023

Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> さんはかきました:

> On Wed, 18 Jan 2023 16:30:53 +0100,
> Mike FABIAN wrote:
>>

>> With a Lenovo Thinkpad T14s (Gen1, Intel version), I tried to get sound
>> on the monitor speakers via the HDMI cable.
>>
>> It didn’t work out of the box and after a bit of googling I found:
>>
>>     https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T-series-Laptops/T14s-AMD-no-HDMI-audio-on-Linux/m-p/5081195?page=2
>>

>> which suggested to put
>>
>>     snd_rn_pci_acp3x.dmic_acpi_check=0
>>
>> on the kernel command line.
>>
>> So I tried this:
>>
>> $ cat /etc/modprobe.d/lenovot14s.conf
>> options snd-rn-pci-acp3x dmic_acpi_check=0
>>
>> And that did make it work indeed.
>>
>> I have no idea what this means and why this makes it work.
>
> The option basically should influence on the driver's behavior whether
> to probe the built-in d-mic or not, and it has no direct relationship
> with HDMI (supposedly via HD-audio bus), so it's puzzling how this
> fixes the problem.
>
> Could you run alsa-info.sh (with --no-upload option) on both working
> and non-working cases, and attach both outputs for comparison?

I removed /etc/modprobe.d/lenovot14s.conf but now it still works ☹

I did a “sudo dnf --enablerepo=updates-testing update”

since I last rebooted, so it is possible that an update fixed this.

So unfortunately I cannot produce a “alsa-info.sh --no-upload” output
for the non-working case anymore (I attached the output for the working
case *without* /etc/modprobe.d/lenovot14s.conf (i.e. without snd_rn_pci_acp3x.dmic_acpi_check=0)

--
Mike FABIAN <mfabian at redhat.com>
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。