Motu 896Mk3Hybrid dump

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Mon Feb 6 02:26:21 CET 2023

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 05, 2023 at 12:54:38PM +0100, Martin Armsby on GMX wrote:
> On 30.01.2023 14:19, Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
> > Jaroslav, would I ask your opinion for the problem which perhaps dropped
> > the message body from his messages?

Now his message is successfully blasted to subscribers. Thanks.

> Ok, Im pleased to help with the drivers for Motu 896 Mk3 Hybrid
> I followed your instruction and dumped an .img
> Just for comparison I also dumped an .img for Traveler Mk1
> These are both in the zip file - (or how would ou like it)
> The img seems ver small - I hope it's usefull :)

Thanks. I pushed it to my public repository for the collection[1].

Additionally, I filed a merge request to systemd project for the
hardware database[2]:

> BTW
> Manjaro update with Kernel 6.2.Rc6 is running very well with Terratec
> Phase24 and both Motu Travelers.
> Not perfeclty but I was able (for the first time) to edit productions
> using Reaper for over an hour with no problem!
>
> Note:
> Traveler have wrong output numbering.

I guess that you mentioned about the difference between the contents
of attached 'motu-896mk3hybrid.img' and 'ma_test_traveler.img'. If not,
would I ask your further opinion about the 'output numbering' so that
I can figure out it.

If it was the mapping of PCM channels, it would come from the
specification of MOTU protocol. As long as I know, the second generation
of MOTU FireWire series, the first two channels in playback PCM frame
are for headphone output 1 and 2 (if exists). The channels for analog
outputs, for main outputs (if exists), for S/PDIF outputs (if exists),
for ADAT outputs (if exists) follow to them in the order.

Well, if supporting MOTU 896 mk3 hybrid, we need to investigate the
format of packet content. You can see the format table in
'sound/firewire/motu/motu-protocol-v3.c'[3]. Unfortunately, I have never
had chance to access to the real hardware, so it would be helpful to me
that you investigate it on behalf of me. But it consumes your time. If
you are willing to help, I'm pleased to work for it with you.

[1] https://github.com/takaswie/am-config-roms
[2] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/26319
[3] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/sound/firewire/motu/motu-protocol-v3.c

Regards