Is there any way to install alsa-lib with the suid bit set?

aitor aitor_czr at gnuinos.org
Fri Feb 3 01:12:06 CET 2023

Hi Stefan,

On 29/1/23 22:52, Stefan Alexe wrote:
> I am trying to only use a static /dev. I have opened an issue about this on
> GitHub and got it to work only as the root user. This resembles my
> experience with xorg. In that case I had to use the suid use flag. Is there
> an equivalent in this situation?

The suid flag can be applied only to executables. Whereas there are examples
of libraries marked executable that can be run as standalone applications [*],
the point of setting this executable bit is to show some info about the library,
like the version number and so on. Nothing to do with the routines it provides
to every program linked against the library then. So, the answer is no. On the
other hand, the same goes for linux capabilities:

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/capabilities.7.html

Hope this helps,

Aitor.

[*] For the sake of example, try running *|libc.so.6*|