"no soundcard" for GeminiLake High Definition Audio (rev 06)

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Tue Sep 20 21:27:43 CEST 2022

On 9/20/22 21:02, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> So ... good news and bad news.
>
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 3:50 AM Pierre-Louis Bossart
> <pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>> On 9/17/22 20:53, Linas Vepstas wrote:
>>> Kernel reports "no soundcard". Presumably, this is why I don't have
>>> sound. Let me dive right in with details:
>>
>>> FWIW, more about this hardware:
>>> -- It's a cheap laptop, from newegg, Ipason MaxBook P1X, 4-core Intel
>>> Celeron, 12GB RAM, great price.
>>
>> and no linux support. Yay.
>>
>> see https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/wiki/ES8336-support
>
> Good news: The driver seems to be talking to the sound card.
> Bad news: No sound, except for a faint pop when muting, and when the
> driver closes the card. No error messages in dmesg.
>
> So:
> -- I git cloned https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/ and git
> checkout es8336-v5.19
> -- make menuconfig to enable the es8336 modules, then make; make
> modules_install etc.
> -- copy the firmware into place as suggested by the wiki page
> -- enable dynamic debug as suggested by wiki pages
> -- reboot.
>
> I see lots of debug messages in dmesg. None of them appear to be
> warnings or errors.
> But /usr/bin/speaker-test does not result in any sound. It does cause
> some dmesg messages
> to print when started, but none appear to be errors. Some more
> messages print when its stopped.
> /usr/bin/alsabat seems to think everything is OK.
>
> The driver seems to be responsive, in that mixers and volume controls
> seem to actually talk
> to the driver, and "do things".
>
> I'm stumped as to what to try next. Recommendations?
>
> Should I be using github issues for this, instead of email? I'm
> thinking the answer is yes, I should.
> It's somehow easier to track issues via github.
>
> alsoinfo at
>  http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=6f84cae386786c6ac8314c78cbaabde0abe33f3c

Yes, it's better to try and use GitHub to attach logs and results.

I am afraid you will need to find how GPIOs need to be tweaked with
sof_es8336 quirks to make sound work. There is a possibility that we
manage to reverse engineer what Windows uses with the _DSM method, but
it's only an idea at this point. It'll take a while to get Linux support
for all these platforms.