About Cleanup ASoC

Cezary Rojewski cezary.rojewski at intel.com
Fri May 27 10:38:31 CEST 2022

On 2022-05-26 4:45 PM, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:
> On 5/26/22 09:17, Cezary Rojewski wrote:

>> Hmm.. I don't see why SDW is a problem here. Could you elaborate? I
>> could boost avs-driver to support SDW configurations if we need a POC.
>> Why would machine devices not be created by the platform (e.g. PCI) driver?
>
> Because there will be at some point an ACPI device for the machine
> driver. I can't give more details on a public mailing list just yet, but
> the approach based on the PCI driver creating a platform device is NOT
> future-proof.

I still believe that upcoming descriptor changes only simplifies things
- less machine descriptor tables, more reliance on actual ACPI
description. Remember that granular card approach does not ban the usage
of compound cards. You can still mix both together. If we encounter some
descriptor that says given N devices are logically inseparable, then we
create a single machine board for them. The fact that sound card has a
device assigned to it does not change - something will create a device
and sound card driver will attach onto it. From that point onward,
assigned DAI LINK components can still take control of cards behavior
just like we do it today.

Regards,
Czarek