UCM2 configuration guide

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Mon May 16 18:31:23 CEST 2022

On 14. 05. 22 19:43, Peter Wedder wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been working on an article to describe the process of writing UCM2 configuration to split multi-channel devices into smaller devices, particularly in the context of USB audio interfaces. This is a common problem with enthusiast/studio USB audio interfaces and it happens to be a pet peeve of mine.
>
> I recently contributed a profile for the Behringer UMC204HD (https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-ucm-conf/pull/128) and found the process to be a little intimidating, but with a lot of help from Perexg I managed to get it working. I would like to help other potential contributors out by explaining the process step by step.

It's because many things are work-in-progress and there's a tight relation
between UCM and the alsa-lib's configuration.

> I was considering posting the article to the Fedora Magazine (https://fedoramagazine.org/), since that's the distro I use. However, I wanted to check with you, the ALSA maintainers, first, because the intent of the article is to encourage readers to contribute UCM configurations for their own cards, and I thought perhaps a potential surge of contributions is not something you want at the moment.

At the time there's a lot of USB cards configs waiting for the merge, but I'd
like to clean the configs at first. The per card configurations should not
bother so much with the alsa-lib configurations. Also, I'd like to support the
channel management (split) by the applications. The implementation may be
completely hidden in the included common blocks.

> Let me know what you think -- is this a welcome idea or should I forget it? I have a draft of the article available here: https://gist.github.com/brndd/ccec98a575f7c0422d50402937439227

Thank you for this work. The document looks nice for users dealing with the
support for this type of hardware. Please, wait a moment to complete this
support. I will be happy to co-operate with you to finish this.

I created an issue #154
(https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-ucm-conf/issues/154) and I'll try to
update it until this is finished.

					Jaroslav