No sound on gpd pocket 3

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Tue Jan 25 16:41:07 CET 2022

On 1/25/22 03:07, anthony tonitch wrote:
> Le lun. 24 janv. 2022 à 20:02, Pierre-Louis Bossart
> <pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com> a écrit :
>> ah, now it's starting to make sense.
>>
>> I am afraid you have the ES8316 codec, or one of its variants.
>> /sys/bus/acpi/devices/ESSX8326:00/status         15
>>
>> so no you don't want to use options snd-intel-dspcfg dsp_driver=1 but
>>
>> options snd-intel-dspcfg dsp_driver=3
>>
>> The auto-detection don't work because we use a different codec HID for
>> the driver selection
>>

>>         {
>>                 .flags = FLAG_SOF,
>>                 .device = 0x5a98,
>>                 .codec_hid = "ESSX8336",
>>         },
>>
>> as well as the machine driver selection
>>
>>         {
>>                 .id = "ESSX8336",
>>                 .drv_name = "sof-essx8336",
>>                 .sof_tplg_filename = "sof-glk-es8336.tplg",
>>         },
>>
>> This is really a problematic set of devices, where absolutely all
>> possible I2S links have been used, along with GPIO settings and DMICs.
>>
>> Please file a bug on https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/issues so
>> that we can keep track of this and suggest solution.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> I will file the bug issue later in the day but I have two question here,
>
> 1. does the dsp_driver=3 is supposed to work then because it doesn't
> seems to ^^ maybe I did it wrong but here is the alsa info again if
> you see anything
> http://alsa-project.org/db/?f=847cdba9058170337515f57b460ed7bcae964af7
>
> 2. Because it works for everyone else and not for me, does this mean
> the chip is different and then that I have a "faulty one"? I will
> obviously still try to make the sound work if I can but at least I can
> contact gpd hk for an explaination
>
> Thanks a lot for your quick response!

All the solutions we suggested will not work because of a change in your
BIOS. We've only see "ESSX8336" so far and hard-coded this value, now
the BIOS writers in their infinite wisdom chose a different HID
(ESSX8326) which breaks all the existing matching.

if you can install a new kernel, please try and provide feedback on
https://github.com/thesofproject/linux/pull/3338, where I added support
for more BIOS variations of the same device. I don't have any hardware
to test so have to crowd-source the tests to the community, thanks for
your understanding if this isn't a turn-key solution.