Regression playing 24bit/96kHz audio on USB audio interface between 5.10.94 and 5.15.21

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Sat Dec 31 13:10:18 CET 2022

On 31. 12. 22 12:38, Ruud van Asseldonk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I bisected this and identified e4ea77f8e53f9accb9371fba34c189d0447ecce0
> (ALSA: usb-audio: Always apply the hw constraints for implicit fb sync)
> as the first commit where it is no longer possible to change the sample
> rate. On the parent commit, my sample program successfully changes the
> sample rate from 44100 Hz to 96000 Hz, but on e4ea77f8e53f9, the second
> call to snd_pcm_hw_params fails.

There is an easy workaround - call snd_pcm_hw_free() between the params setup.
This call ensure that the sync ep is freed. I can just confirm that this
problem is only for USB hw with the implicit feedback (tested with 6.0.11 kernel).

I will try to debug this when I find a little free time. Perhaps, Takashi may
have a straight idea, what's wrong. When only one stream is used, this
hw_params call should succeed, too.

					Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>