Adding AC3, TrueHD, and other audio codecs to compress-offload API

Carlos Rafael Giani crg7475 at mailbox.org
Tue Dec 6 14:31:16 CET 2022

Hello,

currently, the compress-offload API does not include AC3, EAC3, TrueHD,
MPEG-H, DTS in its list of audio codecs (found in
include/uapi/sound/compress_params.h ). However, in part due to the rise
of 3D audio like Dolby Atmos, adding these codecs would be useful if the
underlying DSP is able to directly receive the compressed audio frames
instead of having to rely on passing the compressed data through IEC958
/ IEC61937.

 From what I see, no special parameters would be needed - these codecs
are self contained (no extra codec headers and such required). In the
MPEG-H case, I'd limit support to MHAS (MPEG-H 3D Audio Stream), since
that seems to be the more popular method of transporting MPEG-H frames,
and also does not require any special extra info. As a result, this
would amount to just adding a couple of audio codec #defines to
compress_params.h .

Thoughts?

Carlos