Rockchip I2S commit possibly ignored

Geraldo Nascimento geraldogabriel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 15:37:18 CEST 2022

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 02:19:42PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 10:15:16AM -0300, Geraldo Nascimento wrote:
>
> > I was looking at Rockchip I2S commits and it seems "ASoC: rockchip: i2s:
> > Reset the controller if soft reset failed" was supposed to have been
> > merged to your sound.git but never was. I don't know if this was
> > intentional or a real miss but in any case I'm letting you know.
>
> Please don't send content free pings and please allow a reasonable time
> for review.  People get busy, go on holiday, attend conferences and so
> on so unless there is some reason for urgency (like critical bug fixes)
> please allow at least a couple of weeks for review.  If there have been
> review comments then people may be waiting for those to be addressed.
>
> Sending content free pings adds to the mail volume (if they are seen at
> all) which is often the problem and since they can't be reviewed
> directly if something has gone wrong you'll have to resend the patches
> anyway, so sending again is generally a better approach though there are
> some other maintainers who like them - if in doubt look at how patches
> for the subsystem are normally handled.

This isn't my patch, it's a patch by Sugar Zhang from Rockchip that was
supposed to have been applied one year ago, give or take 10 days. I
can't resend a patch that wasn't authored by me.

Therefore I don't see the point of your complaint about "content free pings".

> > However in the alsa-devel archives,
> > https://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2021-August/189050.html
> > I see there was no commit info for the unmerged patch. Perhaps this
> > caused it to be black-holed?
>
> If there was no commit info that means it wasn't applied.

That's what I thought. Cc:ing Sugar Zhang now.