Patch for some Roland devices' USB digital audio

Lucas jaffa225man at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 00:42:50 CET 2021

Soon after posting it, I realized that output inclusion is implied for
anything using USB implicit feedback.  So, now I've tested that on the
"Boutique" D-05 and VG-99.  They seem to be working as expected.
There is one caveat, namely the D-05's analog outputs aren't as clean as
the other two devices, with little quiet occasional clicks sounding
something like dust on an LP record's play.  Possibly that can be chalked
up to it having only 1/8" minijack connections, but I suspect something
more driver-related as I've not noticed it during use as a synthesizer.
Its firmware version is "1.02(1033)," so not up-to-date which may mean it's
just the hardware itself, but I've decided not to risk any changes with it
yet.  If I knew I could revert it, that would be another story.  Also USB
captures from it, play perfectly cleanly on my usual sound device, the
Edirol UA-4FX.

You probably already know this, as someone coded them, but here are the
commands I've had to use for format compatibility with these devices:

D-05:
  arecord -D hw:Boutique -f S32_LE -c 2 -r 96000 ./file.wav
  aplay -D hw:Boutique -f S32_LE -c 2 -r 96000 ./ile.wav
INTEGRA-7:
  arecord -D hw:INTEGRA7 -f S32_LE -c 2 -r 96000 ./file.wav
    (then change MENU->SYSTEM->SOUND->Sampling Rate to 44.1 [kHz]
(otherwise its 96[kHz])
     and  change MENU->SYSTEM->SOUND->Ext Part Source Select to USB AUDIO)
  arecord -D hw:INTEGRA7 -f S32_LE -c 2 -r 44100 ./file-44100.wav
  aplay -D hw:INTEGRA7 -f S32_LE -c 2 -r 44100 ./file-44100.wav
VG-99:
  arecord -D hw:VG99 -f S24_3LE -c 2 -r 44100 ./file.wav
  aplay -D hw:VG99 -f S24_3LE -c 2 -r 44100 ./file.wav

I have another of the devices I added, with the patch, arriving soon (the
R-26) so I'll have to get back to you with how that works too.

Thanks to anyone looking into adding this,

  Lucas