USB Wireless device support

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Wed Jan 13 15:36:19 CET 2021

Hey,

On Wed, 2020-12-09 at 14:30 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've recently bought a SteelSeries Arctis 1 wireless headset:
> https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-1-wireless-xbox
> and wanted to write a kernel driver to export a few features of the
> device, and needed some help getting started.
>
> The receiver shows up as a audio class USB device, with extra
> features
> on a separate USB interface.[1]
>
> The extra features that can be accessed are:
> - Presence detection. I wanted to use that so PulseAudio or Pipewire
> could make routing decisions based on whether the headset is
> available,
> or probably better, implementing a "jack detection" emulation for the
> main audio interface?
> - A slider to change the sidetone volume
> - Export the battery level
>
> The latter is the only one I know how to do, so I'd be happy with any
> pointers or examples about the first two items.

I sent this in December and didn't get any answers, and I would
appreciate any guidance/examples if you have any into implementing
this.

I would imagine that the new features would be implemented through a
separate ALSA device with few features, which PulseAudio/Pipewire could
merge with the existing USB audio device.

Cheers