[alsa-devel] No sound with Realtek ALC298 on a Samsung Galaxy book

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Feb 17 17:19:29 CET 2020

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 15:03:16 +0100,
Aurélien Croc wrote:

> > The BIOS seems broken, it just sets a single output pin.
> > You need to try to figure out the pin connections, e.g. via
> > hdajackretask program.  The headphone might work with that.
> > But the speaker output might need another special handling, and it's
> > nothing but trial-and-test with the existing quirks for similar
> > devices.  Take a look at sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c.
>
> Thank you for your answer. I tried hdajackretask but I didn't succeed to get
> sound from headsets.. Maybe I didn't tried all the advanced features of this
> tool..
> I also tried some quirks from  your file but it changes nothing. There are too
> many possibilities. It seems to be hard to test them all.

Yeah, that's the problem -- there are way too many device-specific
implementations and workarounds :-<

> Don't you know a solution to get what is bugged or to get information about
> which channel is linked to headets or internal speakers from Windows drivers?
> I think about a tool to sniff communication between the driver and the sound
> card? or read information from the sound card under windows?

Sometimes you have some data in *.INF file or such.  At least, if the
standard Windows driver (not the h/w vendor's one) works, the extra
configuration is usually put there.

Also, when you test the sound, don't use PulseAudio but test directly
with ALSA native apps (e.g. aplay with -Dhw:0 or -Dplughw:0, etc).
You can use speaker-test program, too.

And always try a headphone output at first.  The headset mic might not
work, but the headphone output is usually the easiest one to get
working.

Takashi