More Generic Audio Graph Sound Card idea

Kuninori Morimoto kuninori.morimoto.gx at renesas.com
Tue Aug 25 02:59:16 CEST 2020

Hi Sameer

> The series [0] introduces small deltas to resolve issues I am
> facing. As you see, most of the implementation is unchanged for the
> graph-card driver. Hence I am not sure if we need a new driver now.

Yes, maybe it is not needed *for now*, but will be issue in the future,
because I can't have normal-link and DPCM-link in the same time, right ?

> at all it gets complicated in future, the "-cc-" compatible can be
> moved to new driver? Please note that the new "-cc-" compatibility is
> added to address following and some of these are discussed in [1].
> - DPCM usage with component model (where there can be N number of
> components available and M (<= N) of them can be connected together to
> form an audio path). For example the path would be like,
> FE -> BE_1 -> BE_2 -> ... -> BE_M.
> - I am extending dpcm_path_get() for this reason and DAI ops get
> called for all connected components.
>
> [0] https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/8/5/42
> [1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/4/30/519

The difference between "-cc" and "card2" is DPCM link detection.
"-cc-"  will assume all are DPCM link,
"card2" will detect both normal-link and DPCM-link via DT.

But, I guess new driver 1st version is focus to
detecting normal-link and DPCM-link only.

This means it is not enough for your case,
because I can't full reproduce your board/situation.
Maybe you need some extra patch on "card2"
which "-cc-" added to soc-xxx.c

Thank you for your help !!

Best regards
---