More Generic Audio Graph Sound Card idea

Sameer Pujar spujar at nvidia.com
Fri Aug 21 10:28:15 CEST 2020

Hi Morimoto-san,

>> If we encode use case information in DT, it would become regid and is
>> not flexible when the HW is giving us the all flexibility (at least in
>> my case). Thus may lead to complications. If there is a way to
>> configure PCM parameters from the user space it would help to simplify
>> things. Then DT can just describe the HW links.
> What kind of PCM parameters you want to get from user-space ?

I was referring to channels, rate, sample size for PCM parameters which
are part of hw_params(). Having these strictly defined in DT would limit
from using the same audio path for different configurations. So far used
mixer controls for overriding this info in hw_param(), but this idea is
dropped as per Mark's suggestion earlier. The requirement here is, some
components have the ability to alter these parameters. Subsequent
components in the audio path should me made aware of this.

For example, SRC (sample rate converter) can change 'rate' info coming
from hw_param(). Similarly 'mux/demux' can change channel info. Fixing
one set of configuration in DT will limit the usage. If this is
configurable from user space, then it would be lot more easier.

. . .