FW: Does the SpeexDSP plugin work?

Stuart Naylor stuartiannaylor at outlook.com
Sun Apr 26 20:23:21 CEST 2020

I have been playing with this repo and the results are actually quite good.

https://github.com/voice-engine/ec

I have been using exactly the same parameters with the following.
I have sent this to you guys because I am sure something is very much wrong with the plugin itself.
SpeexDSP works OK, the above repo works ok, alsa-plugin speex works exceptionally badly that in terms of audio quality it doesn’t work at all?

# The IPC key of dmix or dsnoop plugin must be unique
# If 555555 or 666666 is used by other processes, use another one
# use samplerate to resample as speexdsp resample is bad
#defaults.pcm.rate_converter "samplerate"
pcm.!default {
    type asym
    playback.pcm "playback"
    capture.pcm "echo"
}

pcm.playback {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "dmixed"
}
pcm.echo {
type speex
slave.pcm "agc"
echo yes
frames 128
filter_length 4096
}
pcm.agc {
type speex
slave.pcm "capture"
agc 1
}
pcm.capture {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "array"
    route_policy sum
}
pcm.dmixed {
    type dmix
    slave.pcm "hw:seeed2micvoicec"
    ipc_key 555555
}
pcm.array {
    type dsnoop
    slave {
        pcm "hw:seeed2micvoicec"
        channels 2
    }
    ipc_key 666666
}

I really don’t understand how the above repo can do such and excellent job and then with alsa-plugins it can provide zero EC and also vocode the recording so badly?
Surely there is something wrong with the implementation?
Its doesn’t make and sense unless I have the above asound.conf wrong?
But https://github.com/voice-engine/ec works quite effectively?
Stuart