ASoC driver names

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Fri Apr 24 20:15:10 CEST 2020

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 07:11:46PM +0200, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
> Dne 24. 04. 20 v 18:49 Mark Brown napsal(a):

> > So if it's not really going to be used for anything particularly
> > concrete then I'm having a hard time summoning the enthusiasm for a
> > change.

> The driver name is used as the directory name in UCM / UCM2. For DT, it
> means thousands possible directories (one per board / board + codec variant
> and so on..). The generic simple asoc card is a good example.

Sure, then you end up with a few directories with huge numbers of files
which seems similar?  TBH if UCM weren't doing the directory thing it'd
be easier to see fixing the neatness issue, what UCM is doing means that
it's much more likely that people will notice a problem.

> >  It feels more like a neatness thing than anything else and the
> > postitive case just isn't jumping out at me, certainly not as a thing to
> > force for everything.  New stuff, sure.  I guess I'm not bothered enough
> > to block any platform that has a burning desire to convert either though
> > if users start coming and complaining about kernel upgrades breaking
> > things we'd have to revert.

> :-( I don't propose to force one way. We can conditionally change the driver
> names using a well documented CONFIG_ option to keep compatibility with the
> older user space code. The new driver names may be selected manually in the
> kernel config.

That does provide some mitigation, though there's some potential for
confusion too.  We could try it and see I guess.

> > > I would prefer to have the sound hardware description in the long name field
> > > than the whole hardware platform info here, too.

> > Does it also cope with the DT equivalents (and I guess there's nothing
> > we can do for board file based systems)?  This stuff does get used for
> > embedded systems where the plastics are often important for the
> > configuration.

> The author of DT config knows what hardware is described, thus this person
> should be resposible for the nice GUI sound part name.

Assuming they're working on a system where the sound card name will be
displayed in a GUI.