[alsa-devel] [RFC] ASoC: soc-pcm: Use different sequence for start/stop trigger

Peter Ujfalusi peter.ujfalusi at ti.com
Wed Sep 25 13:07:23 CEST 2019

On 24/09/2019 22.40, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 02:41:46PM +0300, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
>
>> It can only fixed by using different sequence within trigger for 'stop' and
>> 'start':
>> case SNDRV_PCM_TRIGGER_START:
>> case SNDRV_PCM_TRIGGER_RESUME:
>> case SNDRV_PCM_TRIGGER_PAUSE_RELEASE:
>> 	Start DMA first followed by CPU DAI (currently used sequence)
>>
>> case SNDRV_PCM_TRIGGER_STOP:
>> case SNDRV_PCM_TRIGGER_SUSPEND:
>> case SNDRV_PCM_TRIGGER_PAUSE_PUSH:
>> 	Stop CPU DAI first followed by DMA
>
> Yeah, this makes sense I think.
>
>> If I think about the issue, I'm not sure why it was not noticed before as the
>> behavior makes sense:
>> we stop the DMA first then we stop the CPU DAI. If between the DMA stop and DAI
>> stop we would need a sample in the DAI (which is still running) then for sure we
>> will underrun in the HW (or overrun in case of capture).
>
> There are a bunch of systems where the trigger only actually does
> anything with one or the other of the IPs and the startup for the
> other is handled by a hardware signal so the ordering doesn't
> really matter for them.

If they use generic dmaengine pcm then their DMA is going to be
stopped/paused in trigger. Not sure how they can handle in DAI when the
DMA is stopped.

>> Not sure if anyone else have seen such underrun/overrun when stopping a stream,
>> but the fact that I have seen it with both UDMA+PDMA and EDMA on different
>> platforms makes me wonder if the issue can be seen on other platforms as well.
>
> I'd guess so, especially with smaller buffers.

I have sent the non RFC patch with fix to the not initialized ret and
updated commit message to document the trigger sequences for start and
stop type of events.

- Péter

Texas Instruments Finland Oy, Porkkalankatu 22, 00180 Helsinki.
Y-tunnus/Business ID: 0615521-4. Kotipaikka/Domicile: Helsinki