[alsa-devel] [RFC 00/15] Add Samus Hotwording for RT5677

Curtis Malainey cujomalainey at google.com
Mon Sep 9 18:52:38 CEST 2019

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 3:13 PM Pierre-Louis Bossart
<pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 9/6/19 4:09 PM, Curtis Malainey wrote:
> >

> > Curtis Malainey | Software Engineer | cujomalainey at google.com
> > <mailto:cujomalainey at google.com> | 650-898-3849
> >

> > On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 1:41 PM Pierre-Louis Bossart
> > <pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
> > <mailto:pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com>> wrote:
> >  >
> >  > On 9/6/19 2:46 PM, Curtis Malainey wrote:
> >  > > This patch series adds the hotwording implementation used in the
> >  > > Pixelbook on the RT5677 driver.
> >  > >
> >  > > Known Issues:
> >  > > There is a known issue where the system will fail to detect a
> > hotword if
> >  > > suspended while the stream is open. This is due to the fact that the
> >  > > haswell-dsp suspends its I2S MCLK before the RT5677 suspends which
> >  > > causes the writes and reads to become corrupted as a result. Any
> >  > > recommendations to correct this behaviour would be appreciated.
> >  >
> >  > I don't get what 'suspend' and 'stream' refer to. is this pm_runtime,
> >  > s2idle, system capture, SPI capture?
> >  >
> >  > Can you elaborate on the sequence?
> > Definitely can,
> >
> >  1. open hotwording pcm with arecord in non-blocking mode
> >       * Codec won't send any data over SPI until the hotword is detected
> >  2. put system into S3 (see order of callbacks as follows)
>
> Before we start digging into dependencies below, is it really possible
> to enter S3 with the hotwording open? I vaguely remember being told that
> such cases would be trapped by the Chrome userspace and the PCM would be
> closed. I don't think anyone on the SOF team testing this case for newer
> platform, so that case on an old platform makes me nervous.

I vaguely recall that as well now that you mention it. I will follow
up internally, if that is true then this will be a non-issue from our
point of view.
> >      1. HSW DSP suspended which suspends stops I2S MCLK
> >      2. RT5677 suspended, all pm writes are lost due to the fact that
> >         the codec is still in DSP mode but has no clock
>
> there's no real dependency or parent-child relationship between the two
> drivers, is there? so I am wondering if this order is intentional or
> just accidental.
> The only thing I can think of is that there are multiple steps during
> the system suspend and maybe we can play with .suspend_late instead of
> .suspend?
Not that I am aware of, when used as a standard codec there is no
clock dependency. I will try and see if I can set the pm accordingly.