[alsa-devel] sound/usb kernel modules as a DKMS package. (Re: Alsa-devel Digest, Vol 151, Issue 10)

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Sep 2 15:32:36 CEST 2019

 > Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 22:06:07 +0900
> From: Takashi Sakamoto <o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp>

> As a quick glance, the repository is just for deb-based distributions.
> >From my experience, users who eager to use the latest source codes tend
> to use Arch Linux and Gentoo Linux. It's helpful for the users to
> include some instructions just to use the code with DKMS system. Then
> you could get any feedback from them as well.

Yes, that's correct. It appears that the "dkms mkrpm ..." functionality is not on Ubuntu. I am mostly a Fedora person privately (Slackware before Fedora). The Ubuntu thing is a work-requirement. Have never used Arch nor Gentoo.

I'll see if I could get it done on Fedora too.

The dkms packaging is mostly done for junior colleagues - I had removed all of work-related material before posting, so it is a bit bare at the moment.

> For your information, I maintain out-of-tree codes to develop ALSA
> firewire stack for a couple of years, as you start:
> https://github.com/takaswie/snd-firewire-improve

Yes, thanks. I came across that, and a few other repos which try to package up other part of bleeding-edge sound driver code (like HDA), but not sound/usb yet. Hence this posting.