[alsa-devel] Why open-coding in sof_hda_bus_init()?

Keyon Jie yang.jie at linux.intel.com
Mon Jun 3 07:58:03 CEST 2019

On 2019/6/1 上午5:20, Takashi Iwai wrote:

>>> I don't understand it...  Why SOF core needs to initialize the content
>>> of HD-audio bus object even if you won't use it?
>>
>> we do use it left and right, but we only use the 'controller/DMA'
>> parts of that structure. we have zero use for CORB/RIRB and
>> codec-specific stuff when I2S and DMIC are the only connections to 3rd
>> party chips
>
> So you want to avoid the dependency on snd-hda-core if the system is
> with only I2S/DMIC?

Hi Takashi, yes, that's true. We want to reuse the hdac registers access
part(bus->io_ops, bus->stream_list), for host DMA stream management(e.g.
in sof/intel/hda-stream.c), without the dependency on snd-hda-core.

> But, snd-sof-intel-hda-common already has the hard dependency on
> snd-hda-core if CONFIG_SND_SOC_SOF_HDA is enabled.  So the attempt
> makes little sense as long as CONFIG_SND_SOC_SOF_HDA is set.
>
> And, if CONFIG_SND_SOC_SOF_HDA isn't set -- i.e.
> CONFIG_SND_SOC_HF_HDA_LINK isn't set either; it implies that there can
> be no user of HD-audio bus.  So, I see no big reason we need to care
> about the stuff...
>

>>> IOW, what's the merit of having hda-bus.c with the copy of
>>> snd-hda-core code?  As far as I see, both hda.c and hda-bus.c are
>>> linked into the same snd-sof-intel-hda-common module.  And, the former
>>> has the direct calls of HD-audio core API (with
>>> CONFIG_SND_SOC_SOF_HDA); i.e. snd-sof-intel-hda-common already depends
>>> on snd-hda-core if CONFIG_SND_SOC_SOF_HDA is on, no matter how you
>>> code hda-bus.c.
>>
>> I agree we could implement hda-bus in a cleaner way - but it's a very
>> small file.
>
> Yes, but this is a kind of layer violation.  Imagine you do initialize
> the struct pci_dev or whatever else device object because you want to
> reduce the dependency on other core helpers; it would be nightmare
> from the maintenance POV.
>
> I've had already hard time to figure out why SOF HDA initializes the
> HD-audio bus, because it misses the explicit snd_hdac_*_bus_init()
> call.  That's the starting point of this thread.
>
> So, let's avoid ugly hacks.  Make it more straightforward.  Again, if
> the module size matters, we can split and reduce the part of HD-audio
> core stuff that is directly linked to SOF core.

If we can split HD-audio core stuff to provide a host DMA/stream only
module for I2S/DMIC, that would be great.

Thanks,
~Keyon