[alsa-devel] Applied "ASoC: soc-core: add .num_platform for dai_link" to the asoc tree

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Tue Jan 22 21:36:37 CET 2019

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 11:10:09AM +0900, Kuninori Morimoto wrote:

>    I think "platform" settings is not mandatory in this case.
>    So we can allow "no platform" in modern style.
>    But what do you think ?

Yes, I think that's fine especially when you start looking at things
like CODEC<->CODEC links.

> 2) On legacy style, if sound card dirver doesn't indicate specific "platform",
>    then, "snd-soc-dummy" platform will be selected automatically.
>    It is implemented on snd_soc_init_platform() today.
>    In modern style, we can force to indicate necessary platform,
>    or, not allow implicit snd-soc-dummy platform selection.
>    But what do you think ?

IIRC the goal with dummy was twofold.  One was to avoid having to list
dummy in things like DT bindings where we don't want platform specifics
(but I'm sure we could arrange something there).  The other was to
ensure that we always have something there so we don't need to test for
platform operations being there outside of init which again we could
deal with I think.