[alsa-devel] Possible ALSA loopback bug?

Timothy Pearson tpearson at raptorengineering.com
Mon Jan 21 02:00:19 CET 2019

I've been running a dedicated machine with ALSA loopback, feeding
darkice on the capture side and (currently) using mplayer to provide
audio on the playback side.  I've seen sporadic hangs for a couple of
years on this setup, but recently with the switch to mplayer I have
additional information that points more to ALSA than the other applications.

When the audio hangs, mplayer prints a continuous stream of:
"Audio device got stuck!"

The only way to "unstick" the audio stream is to terminate and restart
mplayer.  Restarting darkice does not fix the stuck stream.  There is no
pulseaudio on this sytem.

What would be the next steps to debug this setup?  It's shown up on two
entirely different installs at this point (Ubuntu 14.04 and Debian 9).

Thanks!

--
Timothy Pearson
Raptor Engineering