[alsa-devel] ALSA 1.1.8 Release - POLLRDNORM undefined

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Thu Jan 10 05:24:02 CET 2019

Hi,

I'm an author of axfer.

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 18:00:18 +0100, Jay Foster wrote:
> I am attempting to build the 1.1.8 release of alsa-utils and getting
> an error about POLLRDNORM (and others) undefined.  This error comes
> from axfer/waiter-select.c.  axfer/waiter-select.c includes
> "waiter.h", which includes "poll.h".  This build is for a linux
> target.

> On Wed, 09 Jan 2019 17:22:36 +0100, Jay Foster wrote:
> > On 1/9/2019 3:10 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > > Which libc are you using?  The POSIX man page (man poll.h) mentions
> > > POLLRDNORM defined there, at least, on my system with glibc 2.27.
> >
> > This is a legacy ARM product using glibc 2.9.

I'm sorry for the FTBFS but it's out of my notice to build with too-old glibc.

Here, a history of glibc for related events:
* glibc-2.9: 2008/11/13
  * your version
* glibc-2.10: 2009/5/9
  * support XPG7/POSIX-2008
  * add '__USE_XOPEN2k8' for the avove
* glibc-2.19: 2014/2/7
  * add '_DEFAULT_SOURCE' macro
  * XPG7/POSIX-2008 is a default behaviour
* glibc-2.20: 2014/9/7
  * obsolete '_BSD_SOURCE' and '_SYSV_SOURCE' macros
* glibc-2.28: 2018/8/1
  * used my environment (Ubuntu 18.10)

The macros, POLLRDNORM and the others, seems to be defined officially in
POSIX-2008 and nowadays glibc supports POSIX-2008 as a default. This is
the reason that I've never faced your issue in my development period.
I guess it's the reason that nothing noted in man of poll(2) and
select(2).

I need a bit time to judge whether it's woth to support such old-glibc.
Just removal of the newly-introduced macros is a simple solution.

Thanks for your report

Takashi Sakamoto