[alsa-devel] Will we ever see a low latency/high performance PCM api for usb, firewire, avb ?

Ralf Beck musical_snake at gmx.de
Thu Apr 25 22:54:02 CEST 2019

Subject says it all.

During the Dec/Jan period i did some USB patches for the Motu AVB series and a trivial alsa driver to connect my Motu via AVB for a single i/o stream. So i discovered how totally unsuitable the mmapped ringbuffer model of alsa is for the above types of interfaces. Is there any intention to change this ?
I've read that this has already been discussed during miniconf 2017 (USB) and 2018 (AVB). Any results?