[alsa-devel] Fwd: Help with sound on Cherry Trail laptop with ES8316 sound chip

Sundar Nagarajan sun.nagarajan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 06:54:43 CEST 2018

Hello,

I have (separate) issues with two different Cherry Trail laptops that
have the ES8316 chipset for sound.

I already posted the following issues on Pierre Bossart's Intel UCM
repository(https://github.com/plbossart/UCM):

Issue 42: RDP Thinbook 1430 laptop (ES8316): Can't select between
built-in speakers and headphone output
(https://github.com/plbossart/UCM/issues/42)

Pierre's input was as follows:
    The UCM file you are using gives the clue already:
    #Codec IC has only 1 analog out, switching SPK/HP is done externally,
    #probably by means of some analog switch controlled by gpio
    There is nothing we can do at the UCM level, this has to be
handled at a lower level (i.e. the kernel)

In addition, on a different laptop, I have a different problem with
the ES3816 chipset.

Issue 41: No sound on speakers on Chuwi Hi12 laptop - headphone sound
works (es8316) (https://github.com/plbossart/UCM/issues/41)

I reached out to Mark Brown, Daniel Drake and David Yang who were
listed on the kernel.org commit for the ytcht_es8316.c driver
(https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/next/linux-next.git/commit/sound/soc/intel/boards/bytcht_es8316.c?h=next-20180718&id=a03bdaa565cbf23fa86697727a7d2bf1465e7a03)
and Mark suggested reaching out to you folks.

What is the right place for me to post my issues to get your ideas and help?
I have access to these machines, and I can compile kernels and perform
testing, collect logs etc.

Regards,
Sundar