[alsa-devel] alsactl monitor spins at 100% cpu after unplugging USB headphones

Thomas Gläßle thomas at coldfix.de
Sun Sep 30 16:32:31 CEST 2018

Hi,

on both my desktop and laptop (archlinux), `alsactl monitor` beginns
spinning at 100% cpu when I unplug my USB headset. This happens every
time and can be reproduced as follows:

- plug in USB headphones
- start `alsactl monitor`
- unplug headphones

It happens only if the headphones are already plugged in when starting
alsactl.

The increased activity does not lead to spamming stdout or similar,
alsactl continues to perform seemingly correct, i.e. reports when I
change volume levels etc, but nothing apart from the ordinary.

I'm sorry if this is not the right place to report this issue or if the
problem is already, I couldn't find anything about it.

Below is the output from alsa-info.sh:

with headphones:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=0dfc632e3adafb8bc78a182e0a225bcb13bea9fa

after unplugging:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=41dbf0735fdd7cd2416a6b4a602505715d25b44f

Please let me know if you need further info.

Best regards,
Thomas