[alsa-devel] What causes a STOP in the trigger?

Rob alsa at rob-otics.com
Thu Sep 13 08:09:49 CEST 2018

I'm seeing a weird issue where ALSA doesn't ever hit the pointer function,
and we go straight from START to STOP. Debugging the DMA, we get IRQs, I
call the period_elapsed.

It looks like we hit STOP before we even get the first IRQ. I've checked my
parentheses, and theres no overrun or underrun messages. I don't hit the
close function, nor any other functions until i control-C. Once I do that,
I get a large series of pointer() printks showing multiples of IRQ
positions, as if it queued up the commands...

I thought I was IRQing too fast maybe, but as mentioned above, the
irqreturn function doesn't even get called before we STOP.

What in aplay would instantly force a STOP?

Audio plays a few frames (I can hear a chord), then stalls and repeats
until i Ctrl-C.

Thanks,
Rob