[alsa-devel] Tascam FW-1884 driver

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Sat Oct 20 13:22:32 CEST 2018

Hi,
(C.C.ed to alsa-devel, ffado-devel and Scott)

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018, Cédric Mialaret wrote:
> I stumbled up the source code of a linux driver for the Tascam FW-1884 audio interface:
>
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v4.19-rc8/source/sound/firewire/tascam/tascam.c
>
>  a. Does it work ?

It, ALSA firewire-tascam driver, works for systems in which Linux kernel
is used. It's already included in Linux kernel source since kernel v4.4.

>  b. Does it implement all functionalities of the FW-1884 ?

As of kernel v4.19, it supports below functionalities:
  - data transmission for PCM frames via ALSA PCM interface
  - data transmission for MIDI messages via ALSA rawmidi interface

Recently I got Scott's help and work to support handling control
messages from faders/knobs/buttons on control surface of FW-1884/FW-1082. You can
see recent patches in my remote repository:
  -
https://github.com/takaswie/snd-firewire-improve/tree/topic/tascam-userspace-take3
  - https://github.com/takaswie/libhinawa/tree/topic/tascam-userspace-take3

You can see our discussion in list:
  -
http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2018-October/140593.html

>  c. Is this the original code from Tascam/Frontier Design?

Apparently, no. It comes from my work for reverse engineering, by sniffing
packet communications over IEEE 1394 bus.

>  d. Do you by any chance have the source code of the Windows driver ?

I have no such chance, as well as the others.

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto