[alsa-devel] GitHub - alsa-project - repositories

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Wed Nov 14 16:50:22 CET 2018

Hi Jaroslav,

Sorry for late reply.

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018, Jaroslav Kysela wrote:
>> Well, I have another concern when having conversation with Daniel
>> Baluta[1]. He post his 'Reviewed-by' tag to the github issue. In this
>> case, how can we apply the tag to commit history? I don't know exactly
>> services in github.com have good solution for this issue, or not...
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-utils/pull/1#issuecomment-436164565
>
> I believe that the maintainer who signs and pushes the commits should
> handle those tags, too.
>
> It means that we are not allowed to use the github web merge button! (no
> signing - seems like on github's issue list -
> https://github.com/todogroup/gh-issues/issues/50)

Thank you. It's completely against out maintainance policy that we can
handle no tag such as 'Reviewed-by:' and 'Signed-off-by:', thus the web
merge button in github.com can not be used. I'm OK to avoid pushing
the button.

I think it good to push a small guideline message for userspace work to
somewhere for smooth communication between people, like:

1. contributors
  * prepare change history so that fast-forward to remote repository
  * each of commit should have 'Signed-off-by:' tag
  * For bug fix, additional 'Fixes:' tag is preferable
  * two communication paths; 'git format-patch/send-email' to alsa-devel
    list, or PR on github.com
  * put enough information in cover-letter of email or PR comment so that
    reviers/maintainers can get purpose of this work
2. reviewers
  * any review action is welcome and expected
  * after review work, send comments with 'Reviewed-by:', 'Tested-by:' tags
    as reply to the list or PR so that contributors and reviewers can catch
3. maintainers
  * apply the patches from contributor to local repository by hand without
    web UI of github.com so that the history has no merge commits
  * add reviewer's tags to applied commits
  * add 'Signed-off-by:' tag to applied commits
  * reply to list or PR when push to remote repository

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Takashi Sakamoto