[alsa-devel] Aplay Fails When Reading From stdin

Jay Foster jay at systech.com
Fri May 4 19:51:05 CEST 2018

I recently updated may alsa from 1.1.4.1 to 1.1.6.  I now noticed that
aplay does not work properly (the same as 1.1.4.1) when reading the
sound file data from stdin.  This might have something to do with the
recent change with reading the sound file header.

With the previous version of aplay, aplay would report:

Playing WAVE 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono

With 1.1.6, aplay reports:

Playing raw data 'stdin' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono

This results in static/noise output.  If I explicitly add the '-f S16_LE
-r 22050' options to aplay, then it does play correctly.

Is this a known bug and is there a fix?

Jay