[alsa-devel] Question about cpu_dai/codec_dai unbalance

Kuninori Morimoto kuninori.morimoto.gx at renesas.com
Tue Mar 27 04:19:14 CEST 2018

Hi Mark, ALSA ML

Now, I'm investigating cpu_dai/codec_dai, and I noticed
there are many unbalance.

For example, snd_soc_suspend(),
it   calls .digital_mute() only for codec_dai, not for cpc_dai,
and, calls .suspend()      only for cpu_dai,   not for codec_dai.

It seems there are many unbalance like this on ALSA SoC.
I know it is case-by-case, but I think we can have more balance.
For example above snd_soc_suspend() case, .digital_mute() is very common
for both cpu/codec I think, and, codec can have .suspend() ?
But what do you think ?
I think it doesn't breaks current system, because each cpu_dai doesn't
have .digital_mute(), and codec_dai doesn't have .suspend() for now.
Thus, nothing happen if I added it.

The reason why I'm asking is that
now, I'm thinking to merge cpu_dai/codec_dai into one dai list somehow.
This means, we can have non-categorized DAI, this is same as previous
codec/platform replacement into component.
Then, this kind of DAI unbalance might be problem.

Best regards
---
Kuninori Morimoto