[alsa-devel] [RFC, alsa-utils] RFC: alsamixer: Improve description of playback switches

Kirill Marinushkin k.marinushkin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 20:42:40 CEST 2018

On 03/26/18 10:19, Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mar 26 2018 14:11, Kirill Marinushkin wrote:
>> Currently, all playback switches are described as mute. It is shown as:
>>
>> [OO] == sound is on (left and right channels)
>> [MM] == sound is muted (left and right channels)
>>
>> But cards can have different kinds of switch controls, not only mute. At
>> least usb-audio provides boolean controls as playback switches for:
>>
>> * clock source validity (read only switch)
>> * processing features on/off (rw switch)
>> * potentially other similar use-cases
>>
>> It becames confusing, because it is shown as:
>>
>> [OO] == clock source is valid
>> [MM] == clock source is invalid
>>
>> [OO] == processing feature is on
>> [MM] == processing feature is off
>>
>> And from the help, it is not clear how to toggle such switches.
>
> Could you show such control elements to help reviewers? For example, output from 'amixer' might be enough.

Hello Takashi Sakamoto,

I misread your message. You mean the amixer output, not the alsamixer.
Below I attach the output from amixer.

$ amixer -c2
Simple mixer control 'Clock Source 15 Validity',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Up Down',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Up Down Mode Select',0
  Capabilities: volume volume-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Mono
  Limits: 0 - 1