[alsa-devel] unstable channel assignments for 8 channel codec

Daniel Loranger dloranger08 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 01:25:36 CET 2018

Hello all,

I don't know if anyone can help me, or if this is even the right place to
track down an issue I am facing.  I have tried the developer, and filed a
bug in github against the c code, but not getting any responses.

I am using an audio injector octo sound board on a raspberry pi 3.  this
sound board has 6 inputs and 8 outputs.

The issue I am facing is the audio channels appear to be randomly assigned
each time speaker-test utility is ran.

My best guess at this point is there is a missing configuration in either
the C driver or in the alsa configuration.  I am hoping the latter hence my
reaching out here.

My research has lead me to think that the missing information is related to
the channel assignments are missing from the config, but I am out of my
league in understanding the right way to go about this.

here is the driver if that is relevant at all
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blob/rpi-4.9.y/sound/soc/bcm/audioinjector-octo-soundcard.c

I have configured per the device manufacturers instructions as follow

here is the asoundrc contents
pcm.!default { # type hw # card 0 type plug slave.pcm "anyChannelCount" }
ctl.!default { type hw card 0 }
Here is the asound.conf contents
pcm.!default { # type hw # card 0 type plug slave.pcm "anyChannelCount" }
ctl.!default { type hw card 0 } pcm.anyChannelCount { type route slave.pcm
"hw:0" slave.channels 8; ttable { 0.0 1 1.1 1 2.2 1 3.3 1 4.4 1 5.5 1 6.6 1
7.7 1 } } ctl.anyChannelCount { type hw; card 0; }

--
Daniel Loranger