[alsa-devel] alsalib and snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_minmax

Oleksandr Andrushchenko andr2000 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 14:15:16 CET 2018

On 03/15/2018 02:45 PM, Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
> On Mar 15 2018 21:20, Oleksandr Andrushchenko wrote:
>> On 03/15/2018 01:59 PM, Takashi Sakamoto wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> We can't. Once shrinking available interval of a parameter, we cannot
>>> expand it again without initializing the parameter on memory object for
>>> 'struct snd_pcm_hw_params_t', in which actual layout is never disclosed
>>> to user applications.
>> So, this effectively means that this is a one way road, if you need
>> to change
>> some parameter you'll need to start all over, so the whole configuration
>> space remains consistent :(
>
> You miss whole a design of ALSA PCM interface and protocol.

Probably I was not clear: by one way road I meant that if I reduce
configuration
space from [44100; 48000] to [44100; 44100] then there is no way to
reconfigure
to [48000; 48000]
> The protocol consists of interactions between applications, ALSA PCM
> core and drivers:
> 1.Userspace applications are expected to allocate 'struct
>   snd_pcm_hw_params' in its VMA, then fill it with maximum range and
>   set of parameters.
> 2.The applications are expected to execute ioctl(2) with
>    SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_HW_REFINE, to inquire available set of parameters.
> 3.In kernel land, ALSA PCM core handles the ioctl request, then shrink
>   range and set of parameters on the applications' VMA according to
>   runtime information registered by used drivers.
> 4.In this time, in userspace, memory object for the
>   'struct snd_pcm_hw_params' represents available range and set
>   parameters. The applications are expected to decide actual value of
>   the parameters. If no interests, leave them as is.
> 5.The applications are expected to execute ioctl(2) with
>   SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_HW_PARAMS finally.
> 6.In kernel land, ALSA PCM core handles the request, then choose final
>   range and set of parameters.
>
> In this protocol, one way is better because expanding range and set of
> parameters brings ambiguity of available range and set.
No doubt here, as I am implementing a sound device driver I already know
that,
but thank you anyways for great description

>>> If you can initialize whole the parameters, snd_pcm_hw_params_any() is
>>> available for your purpose, then set min/max rate again.
>> This is what I do now but...
>>> But just for
>>> one of the parameters, in my opinion, we need to open an internal
>>> API; snd_pcm_hw_param_any()[1].
>> IMO, this will lead to the false assumption that configuration is
>> possible.
>> For example, I set 4 channels and 44100, but then, after
>> snd_pcm_hw_params_any,
>> set 48000 and might assume that the configuration is still possible.
>> But this may not
>> be true: it is true for the configuration returned by
>> snd_pcm_hw_param_any
>> as we don't know about 4 channels yet. But might not be allowed if we
>> want 4 channels
>> and 48000 at the same time.
>
> Exactly. In short, it's not better idea to expand range and set of
> parameters during the above steps.
>
> For your information, in runtime of PCM substream, several parameters
> can have dependency. Actually, to handle the dependency,
> SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_HW_REFINE should be called several times to inquire
> available range and set of parameters to drivers which satisfies
> hardware specification.

Let me elaborate more on the reason of the question, so probably
bigger picture allows better understanding of my problem.

Recently I pushed a patch series for Xen hypervisor para-virtualized
sound [1]
which aims to add a possibility for the frontend driver to negotiate HW PCM
parameters with the backend, so frontend can tell the user-space that
configuration is possible. Please see this discussion [2] where Takashi Iwai
has provided me with great explanation on how to implement that with the use
of rules in the frontend driver. This does work as expected, so I can
intersect
all those calls when user-space refines HW parameters.
The problem is that the backend is a user-space application and whenever I
pass a parameter interval from kernel driver (frontend) to the backend I
only
have alsalib API to refine the range. So, on backend side I see
something like:

# aplay --dump-hw-params alsa/sample.wav
[ frontend] --------------------- alsa_open
[ backend ] snd_pcm_hw_params_any(mHwQueryHandle, mHwQueryParams))
Playing WAVE 'alsa/sample.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100
Hz, Stereo
[ frontend] rule->var 11 ret 1 min 44100 max 48000
[ backend ] snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_minmax(..., 44100, 0, 48000, 0) -> Ok
[ frontend] rule->var 11 ret 0 *min 44100 max 44100*
[ backend ] snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_minmax(..., 44100, 0, 44100, 0) -> Ok
[ frontend] rule->var 11 ret 0 *min 48000 max 48000*
[ backend ] snd_pcm_hw_params_set_rate_minmax(..., 48000, 0, 48000, 0)
-> Fail

So, the last one obviously fails on backend side but still valid for the
frontend.
This is from where the original question came from.

Hope this clarifies my use-case.

> Regards
>
> Takashi Sakamoto
Thank you,