[alsa-devel] Need some help building alsa-utils

Jamey Kirby kirby.jamey at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 06:31:38 CEST 2018

I have been working with alsa for a while. We use it to archive
content from our radio station. I am using arecord.

Build problem:

1) I cloned alsa-utils from github
2) Spent two hours on Google trying to figure out how to build the darn thing.
3) I am running Ubuntu Server 18.0 with build-essentials installed.
4) I get errors that I do not know how to fix when I try to setup ./configure.
5) I just need to make a build. What do I need to do?

Feature:

I am adding a feature. In the loop for capture(), when a new file is
opened, I want to close the old file (when doing continuous
recording). I added a new CLI parameter -K. When this is set, the
capture() loop will close the old file before opening the new file.

This is an issue for me for two reasons:

1) When will i run out of file handles? I capture one hour files
continuously. After 10 hours, I see that all the capture files are
still open?
2) I need to be notified when the file is closed so that I can do
post-processing of rht capture. I've tried inotifywait in a script,
and in another script I tried lsof. lsof works great, but the files
are open,. See, the main issue is that I need to know when each file
completes so that I can post process.

Here is my post process script outline:

#!/bin/bash

for f in $HOME/vboxshare/jkirby/newarc/*.raw
  do
    filename=$(basename $f)
    open=$(lsof -t $f | wc -w)
    if [ $open -lt 1 ]
      then
        echo "$filename is closed"
        echo "Do post processing here"
      else
        echo "$filename is open by $open processe(s)"
    fi
  done

If I could close the file before or after the previous file is closed,
I can do my work. Otherwise, I have no way to know if the file is open
and being processed or not.

So, I've made the changes, I just need to build the darn thing.

Thanks for any advice or help.

--
Jamey Kirby
Disrupting the establishment since 1964

This is a personal email account and as such, emails are not subject
to archiving. Nothing else really matters.