[alsa-devel] WM8985 Machine Driver Write Error

Mohammad, Jamal M MohammadJamal.Mohiuddin at ncr.com
Fri Feb 16 04:52:06 CET 2018

Hi Guys,

We have a custom i.MX6 Board which has WM8985 audio codec. I developed machine level driver ( imx-wm8985.c ) looking at imx-wm8962 code. Driver loads fine without any error. "aplay -L" list the sound card. I2C interface works fine but it is write only peripheral.

But when I am trying to play a Wav file using aplay, it fails with "aplay: pcm_write:1939: write error: Input/output error".

Reading Online found that this happens when routing is incorrect. I am unable to proceed after this..Please help me to fix this issue.

Here is my device tree.

sound {
                compatible = "fsl,imx6q-sabresd-wm8985",
                           "fsl,imx-audio-wm8985";
                model = "wm8985-audio";
                cpu-dai = <&ssi2>;
                audio-codec = <&codec>;
                audio-routing =
                        "Ext Spk", "SPKL",
                        "Ext Spk", "SPKR";
                mux-int-port = <2>;
                mux-ext-port = <3>;
        };

Please provide me clue/hint to proceed and solve the issue. I can provide you more details if you need.

Thanks for your help.

Mohammad Jamal Mohiuddin
Software Engineer, Retail Hosp/HW
NCR Corporation India Pvt Ltd.