[alsa-devel] ASoC: Intel: sst: Missing IRQ at index 5 on BYT-T device

Stephan Gerhold stephan at gerhold.net
Mon Dec 17 21:32:42 CET 2018

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 01:39:13PM -0600, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:
> Thanks for the additional information.
> > The call to iosf_mbi_read() returns 0x400b0100
> >
> > 	/* bits 26:27 mirror PMIC options */
> > 	bios_status = (bios_status >> 26) & 3;
> >
> > Results in bios_status = 0x0
> So that's a fail.
> >
> > The stock kernel printed this on every startup:
> >
> > SPID updated according to ACPI Table:
> > 	spid customer id : 0000
> > 	spid vendor id : 0000
> > 	spid manufacturer id : 00ff
> > 	spid platform family id : 0007 --> INTEL_BYT_TABLET
> > 	spid product line id : 0000 --> INTEL_BYT_TABLET_BLK_PRO
> > 	spid hardware id : 0004 --> BYT_TABLET_BLK_8PR0 /* Bay Lake FFRD-8 PR0 */
> > 	spid fru[4..0] : 00 00 00 00 00
> > 	spid fru[9..5] : 00 00 00 00 00
> >
> > Based on spid.h [1] I added the "-->" above. Then I guessed that this is
> > BYT-T (there is another "BYT T CR V2" value), but to be honest I don't
> > know for sure.
> >
> > [1]: https://github.com/me176c-dev/me176c-kernel/blob/stock/kernel/arch/x86/include/asm/spid.h
>
> Oh man, Bay Lake...this must be at least 6 years old and 30+ kernel versions
> behind... Only a couple of years and it'll be a collector item  :-)

Yeah, the device was shipped with a 3.10 kernel but I believe that file
was just copied from an earlier 3.4 kernel. I have never bothered to even
try to compile that thing, I just use it as reference every now and then. :)

> I can't recall any of the details so we'll have to wing it. it could be that
> it was baytrail-T but with the software/BIOS for Baytrail-Cr, who knows.
>

> > > I don't mean to dismiss your claim, just want to find out if this is a case
> > > where the PMIC-type-based byt_cr detection fails or if we have a BIOS issue.
> > > Another smoking gun is if you find in your code traces of SSP0 being used.
> > >
> > The quirks to get sound working with bytcr-rt5640 on that device are:
> > BYT_RT5640_SSP0_AIF1 | BYT_RT5640_IN1_MAP | BYT_RT5640_MCLK_EN
> >
> > I guess this means that SSP0 is being used?
>
> Yes indeed, and that makes me think we should force this device to look like
> Baytrail-CR.
>
> You can do this with a DMI-based quirk (preferably in is_byt_cr directly so
> that I can reuse the code when I move it to a helper at some point).

Okay - thanks! One last question:
I was looking at the ACPI DSDT tables of some similar devices and have
found two others that look the same (only one IRQ listed). In this case,
the BYT-T acpi_ipc_irq_index = 5 will never work, and we will definitely
have a better chances with trying Baytrail-CR.

One of them actually had a similar patch proposed at [1] (although they
did it in a weird way and also need an extra machine driver).

We could also detect this situation in a generic way with something like

  if (platform_irq_count(pdev) == 1) {
  	*bytcr = true;
	return 0;
  }

... instead of a DMI quirk. What do you think?

[1]: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9764493/#20539549