[alsa-devel] RME Fireface alsa driver

thet parenthetical at halfshavedyaks.xyz
Tue Dec 11 20:51:25 CET 2018

I posted this a couple of weeks ago in the alsa users list but there was
no response. I hope someone here can help.

I have a FF400 and I have been using ffado with it.

It came to my attention that there exists a ALSA driver for the FF400
since the midi was working over alsa and midi is not supported in the
ffado driver.

Also my system can see the FF400 in the sound control panel without jack
or ffado running.

I am using Mint 19 cinnamon and the liquorix kernel. (though so far I
have not noticed any difference between the liquorix kernel and the
generic one except pre-empt performance).

I would like to try using just the alsa driver and not ffado. Since I'm
using the alsa midi support anyway it would be less total software to
use the alsa driver for everything - assuming it supports everything I need
for serious music recording.

However I can't get any sound out of the FF400 using the ALSA driver -
it works ok with FFADO though. Also the midi works - presumably using
the alsa driver.

I have tried using alsa directly in the sound control panel, using the
alsa output from audacious, and the alsa driver from jack.

I get an error about setting the frames/period/buffer size.

The red light on the FF400 that shows no connection to a host stays on  -
even though the system can see it is present. This light goes off if I
start ffado and jack, or if I start ffado mixer.

Is there a guide somewhere on how to set up the ALSA drivers for the FF400?

thanks!

Thet