[alsa-devel] alsa-lib: add-on configs directory changed to /etc/alsa/conf.d

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Apr 10 09:16:10 CEST 2018

On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 10:12:50 +0200,
Jaroslav Kysela wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I pushed two commits to the alsa-lib package which changes the
> default location for the add-on config files to /etc/alsa/conf.d from
> /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d . The reason is to follow the scheme like in
> other packages. Also, the users might want to change or disable contents
> in those 'default' files.
>
>    Example paths from other packages:
>
> # find /etc -type d -name conf.d
> /etc/fonts/conf.d
> /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d
> /etc/libblockdev/conf.d
> /etc/sssd/conf.d
> /etc/httpd/conf.d

How about evaluating both paths, with preference of /etc over
/usr/share?  The change to allow only /etc would break the existing
alsa-plugins packaging, for example, which still may put the config to
/usr/share/alsa/conf.d.

In general, /usr/share is the place for global setups while /etc for
local machines.  So it's more natural to put the package default setup
to /usr/share while allowing overriding it via /etc.  You can imagine
/usr/share is shared via NFS.  If anything different is necessary, you
put it in /etc.

thanks,