[alsa-devel] New to this list. Proposed patch to soc-utils.c

Albin Stigö albin.stigo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 12:42:25 CEST 2017

Hello,

I'm new to this list so please excuse my ignorance. I'm an
anesthesiologist by profession so I might be a bit out of my depth
here...

I was doing some experimentation with custom i2s codecs (FPGAs) using
the snd-soc-dummy codec (defined in soc-utils.c). I found this codec
to be needlessly restrictive with sample rates allowed
(SNDRV_PCM_RATE_8000_192000). I needed to use more "exotic" sample
rates so I came up with a patch.

I purpose using SNDRV_PCM_RATE_KNOT and setting some limits:
.rate_min = 8000,
.rate_max = 384000,

It's my understanding that SNDRV_PCM_RATE_CONTINIOUS is used for
"known" rates and SNDRV_PCM_RATE_KNOT for more or less arbitrary
rates?

I'm willing to submit my patch but might need some mentoring in the
process. I don't think this simple patch could break anything..?

--Albin