[alsa-devel] HDMI LPE audio on Intel Compute Stick 2nd Gen (CHT)

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Sun Oct 22 15:25:34 CEST 2017

On 10/22/17 6:30 PM, Ian W MORRISON wrote:
> On 21 October 2017 at 03:53, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 17:54:45 +0200,
>> Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

>> either.
>> suppose

>> devices
>> if I
>> users
>> as a
>>>
>>> I don't think it's a bug, it's a feature...
>>> The jack information tells you which device is connected/active, so
>>> userspace has all the data needed to select the right routing.
>>
>> Right, it's a new feature that was recently added, for supporting
>> multiple HDMI/DPs.  The latest PA should be able to check the jack
>> detection of each port, so that it can switch to the actually
>> connected one.
>>

>> Takashi
>>

> Thanks for the explanation. The PA package for Ubuntu is a bit behind (v8
> for 16.04 LST and v10 for latest 17.10) so it will be easier for users just
> to edit /etc/pulse/default.pa in the interim. But is there a way to stop
> the multiple and repeating "Audio Port: ASoC: no backend DAIs enabled for
> Audio Port" messages in dmesg from occurring without modifying the distro's
> kernel?

That issue comes from the mixer configuration (or lack thereof) or
missing UCM files, it's not really a kernel issue.
We've talked in the past of moving existing UCM files to a new repo
(with a clarified license) and adding the ones I maintained, it's likely
to happen after we are done with the open-source firmware (SOF)
integration which requires some plumbing to the life of distros easier.