[alsa-devel] [GIT PULL] ASoC updates for v4.15

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Mon Nov 13 17:30:14 CET 2017

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 04:54:13PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> BTW, one thing Linus requested in the last KS is to avoid merging to a
> stub branch when you're managing topic branches.  If any, just smash
> the rest branches into one of your branches, instead of merging into
> the upstream point.  Just a reminder for the next time.

I saw the LWN writeup after Vinod mentioned it but what he seemed to be
talking about was the practice of doing incremental merges to master
each time a topic branch is updated and instead requesting that
everything just get merged down at the end which is what I do.  Unless
he says something directly I'm going to assume my understanding is
correct, it's how I send all the stuff I send directly to him so if it
was bothering him I guess he'd have said something.  I can't see that
picking a random topic branch is going to be especially helpful either,
it'd end up being one of the fixes branches as they go first which'd
quite likely already be in his tree anyway and end up looking like an
empty branch based off a non-tag which'd probably upset him more.  It's
also the mechanism I'm using to merge fixes from him so there is stuff
on there relative to the other branches.

If it's an actual problem I'm sure he'll say something.