[alsa-devel] Changing snd_hda_intel.power_save default value ?

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Wed Nov 1 15:19:44 CET 2017

Hi All,

I'm working on trying to improve the OOTB power-consumption
of Linux (Fedora Workstation) on laptops.

One of the easy wins here is setting snd_hda_intel.power_save=1

I see that the default is configurable through a Kconfig option,
currently Fedora is using the Kconfig default value of 0.

So I'm wondering if there any known issues with changing the
default to 1 ?

I was also thinking that maybe an automatic value
(SND_HDA_POWER_SAVE_DEFAULT == -1) might be a good idea,
which would mean 0 normally except for PCI-ids which are
markes with a MOBILE flag in their driver_data in
the azx_ids pci_device_id table ?

Regards,

Hans