[alsa-devel] pulseaudio fails to start with kernel 4.11, caused by new snd_hdmi_lpe_audio module)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Mar 20 12:52:39 CET 2017

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 12:42:58 +0100,
Hans de Goede wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Lately I've been working on fixing various issues people
> are having with baytrail / cherrytrail devices. One thing
> I noticed when moving my testing / development to 4.11 is
> that pulseaudio does not work (it aborts while starting)
> this seemed to be caused by the new snd_hdmi_lpe_audio
> module. If I blacklist that all is fine. Any idea what
> is causing this ?

I noticed it once, too, but I had no time to check further.
More interestingly, PA works fine when LPE audio is the single driver
(i.e. blacklist Intel SST instead), too.  So it's more likely a bug in
PA.

What happens when you modprobe LPE audio driver after starting the
session?  If it kills PA, we can debug more easily :)