[alsa-devel] Constant headphone noise on Dell XPS 13 9365

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 02:11:03 CEST 2017

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2017 20:56:53 +0200,
> Felipe Contreras wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 1:19 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
>>
>> > Is there "Loopback Mixer" switch?  If yes and it's on, try to turn it
>> > off.  The analog loopback is often the source of the unknown noise.
>>
>> Yes, "Loopback Mixing". it was off.
>>
>> > Other than that, try to apply the existing quirks.  Some of them are
>> > applicable via model option of snd-hda-intel module.
>>
>> Which quirks should I try?
>
> Check your codec chip, and then see which model option is available.

It's a Realtek ALC3271. I don't see any model options available for
this, but I checked the code and it has the same codec vendor ID as
ALC269 so I tried all the model fixups I saw in alc269_fixup_models
with no luck.

However, I noticed something interesting; when I enabled the
"dell-headset-dock" fixup, the noises got louder, and I noticed a
pattern. It seems everything else I do in the laptop results in a
noise; moving the mouse, pressing a key on the keyboard, even a cursor
blinking on the screen results in a distinguishable noise. After a
while the noises lower in volume, as before, but the patter is still
there, is just that I hadn't noticed.

Any ideas?

--
Felipe Contreras