[alsa-devel] Multiplexable codecs?

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Thu Jun 15 17:46:40 CEST 2017

I have a usecase where there is a requirement to have two codecs which are
multiplexed on the same I2S channel. (In fact one of the 'codecs' is
actually a digital microphone, but it generates an I2S stream just the
same).

In the ALSA SoC framework I know there is support for having separate
codecs on the right and left channels, and also for having different
codecs for playback and capture. But is there any way in the framework
that two codecs can be toggled between at runtime? Normally a machine
driver would configure a single codec which essentially is statically
allocated. Of course the whole driver could be removed and another one
loaded, but the thing here is that it is only for capture that the codecs
are multiplexed, for playback it's always the same codec, and I don't want
to disrupt playback just because a change is required on the capture side.

/Ricard